History of Strahan
Strahan is the port town of the West coast of Tasmania, located on the northern end of Macquarie Harbour, 6 times the size of Sydney Harbour, and the 2nd largest natural harbour in Australia, only 2nd in size to Port Phillip Bay. Strahan was established in the late 1870’s at Smith Cove to service the early mining and pining industries. By the turn of the century it was a bustling port serviced by two railways, the ABT railway to Queenstown and the Tasmanian Government railway to Zeehan. Shipping was the main industry in Strahan until in 1970 the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company chose to ship their product through the port of Burnie and the Union Steam Ship Company ceased their shipping operations through Strahan. With cruises operating on the Gordon River, tourism was identified as a saviour for the town and as more tourism accommodation and activities grew the town began to flourish. Strahan became known worldwide with the campaign to save the Gordon River from flooding and 1983 the area was proclaimed World Heritage.
The main industries for Strahan now are tourism, aquaculture and timber.